Shanghai Climate & Temperature
- Shanghai, China is at 31°13'N, 121°27'E, 6 m (20 ft). See map.
- Shanghai has a humid subtropical climate that is mild with no dry season, constantly moist (year-round rainfall). Summers are hot and muggy with thunderstorms. Winters are mild with precipitation from mid-latitude cyclones. Seasonality is moderate. (Köppen-Geiger classification: Cfa).
- According to the Holdridge life zones system of bioclimatic classification Shanghai is situated in or near the warm temperate moist forest biome.
- The average annual temperature is 15.8 degrees Celsius (60.4 degrees Fahrenheit). See the temperatures page for a monthly breakdown and the fixed scale graph.
- Average monthly temperatures vary by 24.1 °C (43.4°F). This indicates that the continentality type is continental, subtype subcontinental.
- In the winter time records indicate temperatures by day reach 9°C (48.1°F) on average falling to 1.5°C (34.6°F) overnight.
- In spring time temperatures climb reaching 18.3°C (64.9°F) generally in the afternoon with overnight lows of 10.5°C (50.8°F).
- During summer average high temperatures are 30.1°C (86.2°F) and average low temperatures are 23.3°C (73.9°F).
- Come autumn/ fall temperatures decrease achieving average highs of 22.1°C (71.7°F) during the day and lows of 14.6°C (58.3°F) generally shortly after sunrise.
- Total annual Precipitation averages 1111 mm (43.7 inches) which is equivalent to 1111 Litres/m² (27.25 Gallons/ft²).
- On average there are 1874 hours of sunshine per year. Visit the sunshine and daylight section to check monthly details including how high in the sky the sun reaches each month.
- Were you to burrow down through the centre of the Earth from Shanghai you would pop up nearest to the climate station at Concordia, Argentina where you would find a Humid subtropical climate (Subtropical dry forest biome).
Shanghai Climate Comparisons
In depth comparisons with over 3,600 world destinations. Better understand a climate by comparing it relative to one you know (check it out):
Rio de Janeiro,
Shanghai Climate Graph in Metric Units
Shanghai Climograph in English Units
Please help others find this resource by sharing the link:
Climate of Shanghai, China Discussion
Post your insights, comments, questions, answers, feedback, error reports, related link suggestions etc. using the easy form below.
Navigate to Surrounding Climate Guides:
- Taejon, North Korea - 791.2 kms (491.7 miles) NE
- Mokp'O, North Korea - 608.5 kms (378.1 miles) NE
- Yosu/ Yeosu, North Korea - 704.3 kms (437.6 miles) NE
- Cheju, North Korea - 540.1 kms (335.6 miles) ENE
- Hirado, Japan - 796.8 kms (495.2 miles) ENE
- Fukue, Japan - 714.7 kms (444.1 miles) ENE
- Kumejima, Japan - 752.5 kms (467.6 miles) SE
- Taipei, Taiwan - 688.2 kms (427.7 miles) S
- Yonagunijima, Japan - 766.6 kms (476.4 miles) SSE
- Iriomotejima, Japan - 788.2 kms (489.8 miles) SSE